VASSAR HISTORICAL SOCIETY MUSEUM
450 S. Main St.
Vassar, MI 48768
Block: Cork Pine Forest
Vassar, the Cork Pine City, is in the southwest portion of Tuscola County. Vassar is easily recognized by its steep hill,
15,000 petunias, the Cass River, numerous churches and Victorian era buildings that line the M-15 highway.
Vassar was founded in 1849 by Townsend North and James Edmunds who lumbered until the white pine was depleted.
Farming took over and is still a major economic factor in Vassar's rural landscape.
Our quilt block reflects the Cork Pine Forest of our heritage and is displayed on the Vassar Historical Society Museum.
The museum was opened in 2009 after 6 years of labor by an all volunteer organization. The museum building is c.1880 and
was moved to the site in 2003 from four blocks north. The museum now has approximately 1,800 Vassar area artifacts and
most displays are changed annually. Membership in the Vassar Historical Society is about 50.
Safety and Respecting Private Property~
All sites are on private property and should be viewed from the public road unless otherwise indicated at the
site that it is a business open to the public. We are indebted to our barn hosts for their generosity.
When viewing and enjoying the barns and blocks use caution when slowing or stopping near a site.