GRICE HOUSE MUSEUM
865 N. Huron Ave.
Harbor Beach, MI 48441
Block: Beacon Lights
The Grice House was built by James G. Grice, who immigrated to the United States from England
in the early 1860s with five of his seven sons and one daughter. By the 1870s he was employed at the
Rock Falls sawmill. The building survived the 1881 Thumb Fire. In the 1960s, with the last Grice
descendent deceased, the city of Harbor Beach purchased the property to settle the estates of James
and Jane Grice. Shortly afterwards, a group of local volunteers stepped forward to convert the house
and surrounding area into a museum.
In November, 2015 the North Park Campground Pavilion was moved to the area and it is now the
Grice House Museum Pavilion. The quilt block is on this building.
A large part of this garden that runs along the ramp to the new pavilion that houses
the quilt block was planted with annuals by local school children.
The one room school museum is seen in the background.
For information, go to their website and their Facebook page.